Program assistants are an important component to any successful CanSkate program.
The role of the program assistant (PA) will vary depending on the unique needs and dynamics of a club but all duties involve assisting the Skate Canada coach in the delivery of the program.
The responsibilities of a PA may include:
• Assist the Skate Canada coach in delivering the program on‐ice and off‐ice
• Demonstrate skills and teaching progressions
• Supervise practice sessions
• Lead warm‐ups and cool‐downs under the direction of the Skate Canada coach
• Reinforce learned skills (follow‐up on coach instruction)
• Lead circuits, drills, group activities
• Distribute awards (stickers, badges, etc.)
• Take attendance
• Be a role model for young skaters